A Self-described "Aspiring" Runner.



It's the title I have been going by for the past few months. And you could even say the past few years. 
Aspiring Runner.
I've always wanted to be a runner, but yet I've always kept the adjective of "aspiring" tacked on. I've never left that word in the dust and took on the challenge of actually becoming a 
RUNNER.

{These photos are definitely an inspiration.}
 Obviously these women have amazing figures. But the difference is they're not stick skinny. They are women working hard for their body and doing something beneficial. They are healthy. Running makes you a strong, healthy, and confident individual. I strive to be that strong and confident person, and I'm ready and willing to work hard for it!

I must say, I am a very active person. I am a college athlete, and I workout almost everyday. I am not a couch potato, or someone who has never ran before. I am a very focused and determined person, and if I set my mind on something, I usually accomplish it.
I have just never been a "runner." I'm very tall, and more of a muscular build, so I never thought I had what I thought was a "runners body type." I so badly want to get that stereotype out of my head and become a serious runner. I feel confident that I can train and work hard. But I just need the support and motivation to keep that mind-set!


Part of my reasoning for wanting to start running is to gain back the confidence that I have lost. I want to be proud of a goal that I accomplished. I am doing this for me.
Also, during the summer I am "boy-friendless."
Josh has the amazing opportunity to go up to Alaska during the summer and work on a salmon fishing boat {it's not dangerous like deadliest catch or anything!}
This means that I do not see him, let alone even talk to him very much during the summer. So the summer kinda becomes the time to focus on myself; but let me tell you, missing someone so much can really make the time drag. So I've decided to set a goal. And while I'm at it. I'm setting a goal to complete even before he leaves!

THE GOALS:
by June 10th: Be able to run a 10k {6.1 miles}
by August 18th: Be able to run and race in a half marathon {13.1 miles}


The timing for my goals are perfect! I'll be able to easily run 6 miles by the time Josh leaves. And once he gets back I will have doubled that distance!
I want to be able to run in the Madison Mini Marathon on August 18th!

Here is my training schedule for my 10k {I'm not entering a race, I don't think...} that I will be starting tomorrow! I got this schedule from Runners World. It's an awesome magazine and has a great website that includes informational articles about running. I would definitely check this site out if you are beginning to run too!

Week One:
Tueday: 3-4 mins easy, 1-2 mins recovery x4    
Thursday: 5-7 mins steady, 3 mins recovery x2    
Weekend: Long run: 8 mins hard, 3-4 mins recovery x3

Week Two
Tuesday: 10 mins easy, 5 mins recovery x2    
Thursday: 5 mins warm-up (3-4 mins hard, 3-4 mins recovery x2), 5 mins cool-down   
Weekend: Long run: 20-40 mins easy

Week Three
Tuesday: 4 mins steady, 2-3 mins recovery x4    
Thursday: 5 mins hard, 2-3 mins recovery x3   
Weekend:  Long run: 25 mins easy

Week Four
Tuesday: 10 mins easy, 5 mins recovery x2   
Thursday:  5 mins warm-up (3-4 mins hard, 3-4 mins recovery x2), 5 mins cool-down   
Weekend: Long run: 20-40 mins easy

Week Five
Tuesday: 20-25 mins (10-15 mins easy, 10-15 mins hard)    
Thursday: 5 mins warm-up (10 mins hard, 5 mins recovery x2), 5 mins cool-down    
Weekend: Long run: 30-40 mins easy

Week Six
Tuesday: 10 mins easy, 5 mins recovery x2    
Thursday: 5 mins warm-up (3-4 mins hard, 3-4 mins recovery x2), 5 mins cool-down   
Weekend: Long run: 20-40 mins easy

Week Seven
Tuesday: 30 mins wind-up (10 mins easy, 10 steady, 10 hard)    
Thursday: 6 mins hard, 2-3 mins recovery x4    
Weekend: Long run: 50 mins easy

Week Eight
Tuesday: 15 mins wind up (5 mins easy, 5 steady, 5 hard) x2    
Thursday: Out and back (20 mins easy, 20 mins hard on way back - aim for negative split of 2-3 mins)    
Weekend: Long run: 25-30 mins easy

Week Nine
Tuesday: 30 mins easy   
Thursday: 5 mins hard, 2-3 mins recovery x4    
Weekend: Long run: 25-30 mins easy 

Week Ten
Tuesday: 20 mins easy    
Thursday: 15 mins (10 mins easy, 5 mins hard)    
Weekend: RACE! 

Are any of you just getting started running? Are you a seasoned runner? I would love to get advice and inspiration from you as I start my training!
I hope you all have a wonderful and motivated Monday!