Speak O Lord.


A few  weeks ago my friend came to me and told me one of her family members was just diagnosed with a form of cancer. It broke my heart; I didn't know quite the words to say. It seems that we often overlook our health; we never realize how thankful we are for it until we lose it. The only thing that came to my mind to say was: pray. In some way; some perplexing and unimaginable way, God is using this to do something for you and your family. Whether it be to teach you in some way, be more thankful for what you have, or bring you closer to him, he is working this out for your good. 

The next morning, my friend and I were getting ready to go to class. I had some extra time to spare before we had to go, and I said I was going to read the daily devotion that I receive in my email really quick. I was surprised when they asked, "Could you read it out loud so I could hear too?" I obviously responded, OF COURSE! It was an awesome idea. I realized that they were going through a rough time, and the words of our Lord put into a devotion was something they really needed to hear. I opened up the devotion and my mouth almost fell to the floor. The devotion was titled, "HOPE IN TRAGEDY." My wide open mouth quickly turned into a huge smile, my heart began to be filled with warmth, and I thought, "Our Lord speaks to us the perfect words when we need it most." 

"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."
{Hebrews 4:12}

The devotion was based on the words of Job 7:1-7, and talked about the immense pain and struggles that the Lord had placed on Job. Some of the words that most hit home with my friend and I were these: 

"Job experienced more suffering in his life than most of us ever will.  Yet the Lord preserved his faith and strengthened him through it all.  What great comfort to know that whatever hardship and suffering we might have to endure, God will never forsake us; his love for us never changes.  Through Jesus we have God’s peace even amidst the turmoil of life.  Though we face the fact of death, we have the confidence of the resurrection from the dead and rejoice in the gift of eternal life from our Lord."

Of course, by the end of the devotion my friend was filled with tears. These tears, however, were not tears of sadness, but of hope and comfort. Through the words in this devotion

the Lord truly spoke to them.

Our God is always with us, guiding and directing us; picking us up when we have fallen; and encouraging us when we feel the world is crashing down. There may be times in our life when God doesn't feel present. There may be trials and hardships, and we may wonder, "Where is God? Why is he not helping me?" The thing is though, He truly is helping you. He is making you stronger, he is showing you his almighty power and his ability set the course for your life. When you feel like you cannot keep going, like life is becoming too much, the Lord will not let you fall; He might even come to you in a devotion and remind you of his 

immense love. The Lord tends to speak to us when we most need it.

Speak, O Lord, and renew our minds;
Help us grasp the heights of Your plans for us
Truths unchanged from the dawn of time
That will echo down through eternity.
And by grace we'll stand on Your promises,
And by faith we'll walk as You walk with us.

Speak, O Lord, till Your church is built
And the earth is filled with Your glory.


The Lord speaks to us everyday; Indulge yourself in HIS word today, and allow him to speak to you!

{On a side note} I start my first day of observing in a 1st and 2nd grade classroom tomorrow! You can call me "Miss Rachel" for the week ;) I'm so excited! Pray that I have an awesome and positive experience! I am on my way to one day teaching Jesus' precious little lambs. How amazing is that?! :)


bits of splendor mondayMiscellany Monday @ lowercase lettersFindingBeautyintheOrdinary.com